Fahrudin Muminovic was 7 in 1995 when he was captured and taken with his father to the Orahovac' school execution site, near Zvornik. The day was already falling when he was shot down by a burst of a machine gun. The soldiers had been already killing hundreds of people, they were all exhausted. All of a sudden, to their surprise, they saw the young boy trying to stand-up, crying and asking for his father. The commanding officer ordered the soldiers to immediately "finish him". Out of the 18 soldiers of this experienced death squadron, none had accepted the order. The soldiers even asked the officer to finish the job himself, using his own pistol. This is when a Serb military doctor, who had witnessed the scene, proposed to drive back the boy to the Orahovac school, where another platoon would then be in charge of a second execution. This would solve the dilemma, and help calming down the tense situation. They all adhered to this plan. But the Serb doctor had actually decided to save the life of the boy. He drove him directly to the Zvornik's hospital where Fahrudin was handed over to the Red Cross, treated and evacuated. Today, Fahrudin is 32. He suffers severe Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders (PTSD). He attended The Hague trials, and was confrontated to his murderers. He could barely speak. After the trial, he accepted to meet the doctor who saved his life. The Serb doctor had indeed voluntarily decided to testify against his former "comrades". This was an emotional moment for both of them. Fahrudin's tragical memory prevents him to address the past. He lives alone in a small house, just across the street where his uncle lives, where a loving a joyful family is taking care of him. Fahrudin's past is too painful to be opened. Fahrudin seems lost in the present, between video games, sleeping and daily meals he shares with his family. He looks resigned to his fate. The Serb doctor who saved Fahrudin's life died alone. Even though he testified anonymously in ICTY court in The Hague, he was easily recognized. From then on he was repudiated by his own family. He passed away alone in Russia a couple of years ago.

Mujo Pasic was seriously injured by a mortar shell in 1993 in Srebrenica. He was evacuated by helicopter to Tuzla, leaving his family behind. He wanted to come back but was never allowed to do so. When Srebrenica fell, his two sons, Muhamed 17 and Muamer 15, tried to escape by joining the column who tried to break through to Tuzla. They didn't make it and were captured and immediately taken to the Kravica warehouse were they were executed. His wife was evacuated to Tuzla, Mujo and her returned in Srebrenica after the war and rebuilt their home. They now live with their memories.

Saliha Osmanovic has never given up on her fight for justice. She lost her two sons, Nermin and Edin, as well as her husband Ramo. She has attended numerous court hearings, both in The Hague and in Belgrade. She has been confronted multiple times with the eyes of her family's murderers. She never looked down, especially during her confrontation with Ratko Mladic. She remembers calling him face to face and asking him repeatedly what he did in the evening after the massacres had taken place. How could he sit at the table, with his wife and children, after overseeing the slaughter of thousands of innocent people. She never took her eyes off him, until he, Ratko Mladic, clasped his head in his hands as he avoided her gaze.

Hajra Catic lost her son Nihad during the genocide. Nihad was a journalist during the war : “Will anyone in the world come and see the tragedy that is befalling Srebrenica and its residents?” Nino, then 25, shouts into the microphone. He sent out his cry for help on July 10, 1995. No one answered, and no one came. In the house where Nino grew up, his mother often listens to his voice as she still waits for news of him. Hajra Catic knows that her only son is dead , but 25 years after Nino was killed, his remains have yet to be identified, and Hajra has not been able to bury him beside her husband, who was also executed. “I worry that if Nino’s remains are not found, and it’s not proved that he was killed, then in a few years someone could try to deny that he was murdered, and deny what happened here. It would be as if they murdered him a second time". Part of this text from AlJazeera international article published on July 5th 2015.

Munira Salihovic lives alone since the end of the war. She has lost her 3 sons in the Genocide. Sabahudin, 20, was killed by a mortar in Srebrenica in 1992. Fahrudin, 19, was killed in March 1993. Her last son Resid, was 19 when he was killed as he was fleeing through the woods together with his father Redzep. Every single morning at coffee time, memories come to meet her - again and again. She has beautiful memories in her home, which she will keep for herself forever. She decided to come back in the family home 16 years ago, as it is only in Potocari that she can find some relief. Munira never expressed any feeling of anger, as she finds in her faith all the strength not to live in anger. Yet she doesn't expect anything more from this world, except diying so as to be with her loved ones. She is waiting God to recall her as well because there is nothing more to expect in this world - especially not justice. She knows justice will come one day, but not in this world. The only moment in the day when she forgets her pain is when she is taking care of her garden. 

Click on the thumbnails below to view the full size image and legend details (lower left corner).

Living with ghosts

Using Format